The more complicated the issue you’re facing, the more likely it is that you will need to hire an attorney to help you understand the law and represent your rights. Most important, hiring an attorney will give you peace of mind knowing that you have an experienced professional on your side.
Are you comfortable representing yourself?
Unless you have a law degree or your favorite hobby is studying the law, it’s very likely that you don’t have the knowledge necessary to represent yourself in another other than a very routine legal situation. If the case is cut and dry, such as a minor driving violation that requires an appearance in traffic court you may be able to stand in front of the judge and plead your case. In other situations that require knowledge of the law, the courtroom can be a very intimidating place and your lack of expertise may harm you in the long-run.
Generally speaking, if losing a case will have a negative impact on your life, it’s time to find an attorney. Examples include:
• You may face jail time.
• There’s a lot of money at stake.
• Your opponent has an attorney
• You have experienced or caused personal injury: Personal injury can result in significant medical bills and lost wages, so it’s very important that you seek representation if you have received an injury, have caused injury due or are directly connected to another person’s injury (such as a car accident, accident in your home or on your property or an incident that occurred at your place of business).
• You’re getting divorced.
• A relative has died and you need to administer a large estate.
• You’re facing significant tax debt.
• You want to do estate planning (Will, Living Trust, for example).
• You want to adopt a child.
• You need a contract for a business matter.
If you aren’t sure if you need an attorney, our staff is always available to discuss your situation and to help you decide if hiring an attorney is right for you. Contact us toll free: 866-732-6700.